Thursday, February 2, 2012

Interview: Art or Teacher?

If I was asked, "Being an art teacher, what is more important to you? Art or Teacher? Also, do you need to be an artist to be an art teacher?"

As an art teacher, the most important thing is being a teacher. I am a strong advocate for the arts and how art is a way for young children to learn by playing. However, I do think that as a part of the school system, no matter what I am teaching, I will always be working to help children learn. Being able to teach well is extremely important. I am not a starving artist who is trying to make a living by teaching. I am a teacher who is able to follow my passion of art and pass it on to those who don't know as much about art making, art history and principles of design. An art teacher's job is to TEACH art. Teaching comes first. I do not think it is required that all art teachers are artists. I do think that teachers need to possess professional knowledge in art processes, techniques and art history, but I do not think that all art teachers need to be practicing artists who are producing shows and bodies of work on their free time (though it is a dream of mine). Demonstrations are a large part of art class and teaching students how to do something, so it should be required that art teachers posses the skills needed to show students a new technique as well.




1 comment:

  1. Good blog. My favourite art gallery is the Musee D'Orsay in Paris http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/musee-dorsay.html

    ReplyDelete